Recipe by: Haylie Abele
Using Bako Sweet organic microwaveable sweet potato, these super flavorful and cozy donuts are easy to whip up and SO tasty!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp melted, salted butter
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk (I used whole milk)
- ⅔ cup cooked sweet potato (about ½ of a cookedBako Sweet® Single Sweet Potato)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 cups powdered sugar
- Splash of milk
- Green + purple food coloring
- Halloween sprinkles for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350. Take a donut pan, spray with cooking spray to ensure donuts don’t stick and set aside.
- Cook one Bako Sweet® Single Sweet Potato according to instructions on the package. Let it cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon) until combined. Set aside.
- Now that the cooked sweet potato has cooled, scoop ⅔ of a cup worth into a measuring cup.
- Melt the butter in a smaller bowl. Make sure you give 3-4 minutes for it to cool completely. Once it has cooled, add the vanilla extract, egg, milk and cooked sweet potato.Whisk vigorously to combine and then IMMEDIATELY add it to the dry ingredients using a wooden spoon until they are mixed together.
- Next, carefully spoon the donut batter either into a ziploc bag or a piping bag if you have one. If you're using a ziploc bag, cut the tip of the bag and pipe the batter into the greased donut pan, about ⅔ of the way full for each donut.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in a pan for 5-10 minutes and then carefully remove them to continue cooling on a wire rack.
- Once fully cooled, whisk up the glaze! You want this glaze to be THICK so it will set. It will be more like a frosting than a glaze. Add 1-2 cups of powdered sugar to a bowl and then just a splash of milk. Whisk until you get the correct consistency (thick!) and then add in the food coloring. Glaze a few donuts. Then make another batch of glaze with another food coloring. Add the Halloween sprinkles on top. Enjoy!